It seems like everyone has a crock pot (slow cooker) lasagna recipe these days I went on Pinterest and there were so many I could not even keep track but I don’t use ready made spaghetti sauces so my recipe is a little different but to make it listed below is what you need and the instructions.
I don’t have pictures shown step by step but I did list my directions out and please feel free to ask if you have any questions. I have been making this recipe for years!
Karen Lynn’s Classic Tomatoe Sauce
- 1 Quart of Canned Tomatoes – I use my home canned tomatoes
- 1 small can of paste
- 1 Large Can of Tomatoe Sauce
- 1 TBSP. Italian Seasonings
- 2 tsp. Powdered Garlic
- 1 TBSP. sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all together in a big bowl it makes a wonderful frugal sauce!
The Lasagna Filling
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- 1/3 C. parmesan cheese grated
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 TBSP. Italian Seasoning
Other Items Needed To Make Crockpot Lasagna
- Lasagna Noodles – 1 Box
- Parmesan Cheese
- 12 slices of provolone (You can make this recipe more frugal and ditch the provolone and add more mozarella but the provolone really makes this recipe special!)
- 1 bag of shredded mozarella
- browned ground beef or meatballs sliced in half or italian sausage or ALL OF THE ABOVE!
- In my case in this recipe I just used some turkey meatballs I had in the freezer and sliced them in half
To Make The Crock Pot Lasagna
- Put some sauce at the bottom of the crockpot
- Layer in the uncooked lasagna noodles about 3 is fine you can break them to fit or spread them around the edge its fine if they are jagged or don’t match perfectly
- Layer in the cottage cheese mixture ( I do this will little spoonfuls and then spread with a spatula)
- Then layer in the meat in my case I used frozen turkey meatballs I had already put in the freezer so I cut them in half and layered them
- Then I put some more sauce on and then the noodles
- Then a little more sauce on top of the noodles
- This time I layered provolone slices and filled around with the shredded mozzarella wherever the provolone cheese did not cover
- Then I continued to layer
- Until It has a total of 4 layers you can only do 3 too whatever you feel will feed your fam! We like to make a HUGE amount so we can have it for lunches or even breakfasts.
Truthfully it does not matter at all how you layer this as long as it all fits in the crock pot and that you make sure you keep doing the layers and there is sauce cheese and meat between each layer. I have never had a crock pot lasagna NOT turn out! I like to keep things simple and inevitably this is one of those recipes that you can follow your intuition somewhat.
This is absolutely the easiest recipe especially if you are going to be working all day and have company over in the evening you can serve this with a salad and some bread and your guests will be in awe of your amazing cooking skills! This recipe is amazingly delicious it is not full of chemicals and ready made sauces it is one of those recipes where you control the quality of the ingredients your family is eating and it’s simple!
Better to have too much sauce than to have it turn out dry. I cook this on low for 6 hours and then put this on warm however if you know you will have to work 8 hours on more keep it on low and add some extra sauce!
Happy Good Friday To All!