If you would have told me even 10 years ago that I would be drinking and enjoying a beverage that has a “Mother” floating in it in a jar….I would have said I would never touch the stuff and would have completely balked at the idea.
But after drinking this bubbly fruity delicious beverage and feeling the benefits of it I have to say it is an amazing gift to give yourself. I have already written about some of the benefits of drinking Kombucha here.
The other thing that people don’t know about Kombucha at least I didn’t know is that it is like sourdough starter it just keeps going and going. The Kombucha keeps making new Scoby’s to be shared with friends.
So last night we started two batches of the second fermentation this is the step that makes the Kombucha bubbly once it gets to the desired carbonation you then refrigerate it and it kind of slows this process down. You can add fruit or sugar to the second fermentation and as much as I prefer honey over sugar this is one process you cannot substitute or you could lend up with a bad batch.
Homemade Kombucha is very affordable once you buy your first initial scoby or receive it from a friend….all you need is distilled water, your scoby, tea, sugar, fruit, jars, cloth, rubberbands for the most part. You never want to put a lid on the first fermentation but the second fermentation you do for about 24 to 72 hours but you have to burp them or you could end up with a blow out….that has not happened to us yet but we are still new at this!
I hope if you have any concerns about drinking something with floaties and stuff in it that you will at least give Kombucha a try before you say no way because it leaves you with this sense of well-being that I really can’t explain.
Have a great day everyone! I also have included a lot of links about Kombucha at the bottom because everyone always has so many questions about it and there are some great blog articles here!
- Entering The World of Kombucha (lilsuburbanhomestead.wordpress.com)
- Kombucha: My New Bubbly (planithealthier.wordpress.com)
- Benefits of Kombucha Tea: Why is it Government Regulated? 20July2012 (thegoldenagedaily.wordpress.com)
- Benefits of Kombucha Tea: Why is it Government Regulated? (naturalsociety.com)
- I Heart Kombucha (eatrunreadtravel.com)
- Clearly Kombucha Makes Kombucha Less Scary (drinks.seriouseats.com)
- Kombucha! Need I say more? (nogmojoe.com)
- Learn how to make your own kombucha tea at home (naturalremediesblog.net)
- How to Make Kombucha Tea at Home (thekitchn.com)
This blog posting is linked to the following fabulous blog hops!