They are calling hurricane sandy “The Frankenstorm” and today we went down to the ocean to look at this ferocious storm moving in towards our coastline. As of now they don’t seem to think that our part of coastal North Carolina should expect much but some wind and quite a bit of rain. However it is very important to be ready to evacuate, to have some supplies on hand because no one can really with 100% accuracy predict a hurricane. I am also including some video I shot today so you can see that even in the very early stages with this hurricane hundreds of miles off of the coast how it is stirring the ocean up.
We keep a hurricane supply box supplied all year-long, we also have water stored away, batteries, and a first aid kit. We are perfectly situated to hunker down at home we have several other sources to heat with other sources of fuel. We have fresh eggs from our chickens in addition to our stored supplies and this time of year if the garden does not get devastated we can forage small offerings from it still. Our weakness is if we were to get in a situation where we had to leave our home we are not quite prepared for that yet. We always gas up both vehicles and we have some supplies at the ready. My husband has a bug out bag but my son and I have to work on having bags put together this year. We did buy some more water today to supplement supplies we already have as you can see below oh and we remembered the cat too 😉 Oh yeah that is also some London Broil for my husband the Viking in my life to make his famous Beef Jerky for gifts for our son’s coaches but also to save a little for us too!
Another consideration is do we have enough medications on hand for some people who are like me that have to take medication for an ongoing condition. I usually try to keep a months supply on hand but these are all issues that people face in a storm situation. Will the power go out? Will businesses shut down? Will I be able to get my meds etc…?
So today I am double checking are we low on anything? Do we need to add to any of our supplies or stores? Also are their items that I might not be thinking about do I need?
Have a great weekend! And if you are in the path of Sandy stay safe!
- Safe Wishes for everyone with Hurricane Irene On Its Way – (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- What Products To Stockpile for Maternity Leave (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- ‘Frankenstorm’ Barrels Toward the US (weather.aol.com)
- Hurricane Preparations What You May Not Think Of (myfoxphilly.com)
- Tips No. 4-6 On Preparing for an Emergency It’s Not “If” It’s “When” (email@example.com)
- When All Heal Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin Book Review by Lil’ Suburban Homestead (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ‘Dangerous’ Hurricane Sandy and resulting Frankenstorm may impact LI, forecasters say (newsday.com)