First of all I have to start this blog post off saying this isn’t my recipe I give my sister-in-law credit for this recipe however in her email to me when she sent me the recipe she doesn’t take credit for the recipe either. That being said since she is the one who introduced me to the recipe she is the one I give the credit too. These ham rolls are absolutely delicious but as you know I never leave any recipe completely alone I have to tweak it to make it mine so I will share with you my version of how I make these but know that I only wish these ham rolls were my idea.
These are the perfect appetizer, starter or meal for the holidays especially if you have leftover ham because you know whenever we eat leftovers we are eating from the plus side of the column which since this will be our year of following our budget you will be hearing more about this year! I have already downloaded some budgeting tools from Canadian Budget binder for FREE!
You simply start with the smallest rolls you can find I used the Martin Party Potato Rolls but you can use the smallest party rolls you can find…..the cheaper the better as long as they taste good!
We slice them in rolls with a serrated knife and then I fill with ham as shown below:
All you need is little slices of ham they don’t even have to be that neat….my husband “The Viking” in my life sliced those up and he likes things to be just so!
Lastly I layer some low-fat shredded mexican cheese on top…the original recipe I think recommended swiss but we always have low-fat shredded mexican cheese in our house so this was easier for me.
While this is all well and good the magic is in the secret sauce that you spoon into each roll on top of the cheese and then I also spread it around on top of the rolls.
The Secret Sauce Is:
one stick of butter melted and then add the following:
1 1/2 Tablespoon of Poppy Seeds
1 tsp. of worsterchire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder or you could use 1 TBSP. of onion flakes
1 1/3 Tablespoon of dark spicy mustard (the recipe I was given calls for regular mustard so you can use that too but I prefer the dark mustard.
Stir it all up and spoon into each roll and on top.
Then cover all the rolls with foil and bake on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. They are amazing and if you bring them to a party you will never have to worry about bringing any back home.
Happy New Years Everyone! Here’s wishing you all of the best in 2013!
- Leftover Ham Recipes (thehappyhousewife.com)
- Easy Tasty Bites (athomewoman.wordpress.com)
- Puff Pastry with Ham and Cheese (sweetpaprika.wordpress.com)
- Perfect Left-Over Ham Recipe – Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup!! (freshnewblog.wordpress.com)
- Cheesy Ham and Hash Brown Casserole (chewoutloud.com)
- Perfect Left-Over Ham Recipe – Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup!! (mealplanningmom.wordpress.com)
- Ham Appetizers for Holiday Entertaining (gthankyou.com)
- New Years Eve 2013 Party (thefloribeancook.wordpress.com)
- Egg Muffins with Ham, Cheese, and Bell Pepper (thesurvivalplaceblog.com)
- 5 New Years Eve Recipes That Put New Twists On Classic Appetizers (y108.cbslocal.com)