Meatball Stuffed Peppers (Low Carb & Gluten-Free)
Hi friends! I hope all of you are having a fabulous Wednesday and I hope everyone is enjoying some lovely spring weather and if not just yet maybe soon I hope.
I am so excited to share this recipe with all of you! First of all I love stuffed peppers and I love meatballs and well if I haven’t told you all I have been cutting out a lot of sugar out of my diet. I do eat grains occasionally but not very many and I am very picky as you know of the flours I will incorporate for my family.
Peppers are loaded with vitamin C and when they aren’t coming up in the garden bell peppers are priced fairly affordably so they are mainstays in our diet and nutritional plan on our homestead. I love to throw them in omelets and salads and I most certainly love to stuff them.
Karen Lynn’s Meatball Stuffed Peppers (Low Carb & Gluten-Free)
(Although I confess these were the Viking’s idea….)
- 4 bell peppers (any color doesn’t matter they will all be delicious)
- 2 lbs. of ground chuck or lean ground beef
- 1/3 C. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C. Reduced fat shredded cheese
- 1 TBSP. italian seasoning
- Dash of garlic salt
- 1 egg to moisten
- 1 TBSP. parsley or chives
- 1 TBSP. dried or 1/4 C. fresh diced onions
- Dash of pepper
- 1 jar homemade tomato sauce (store bought is fine too – I look for a brand low in sugar)
Oh and remember you can adjust any of these ingredients to suit your preference!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut pepper tops off and clean the peppers out so they are empty (Save the pepper tops to dice for another meal later in the week!)
- Place peppers in a bread pan so they stand up
- Place peppers in oven
- Meanwhile place 2lbs. ground chuck/beef in a mixing bowl and literally throw all ingredients in and stir in well
- Roll meat mixture into small meatballs not too big
- Place in a lightly greased 13 X 9 pan.
- Add meatballs to the oven
- You will want to pull the peppers out somewhere between 25 to 30 minutes depending on your taste
- The meatballs should cook about 30 minutes sometimes longer but should be fully browned
- Once you remove the meatballs stack them into the peppers (I use a pair of tongs)
- I then spoon the sauce on top of the meatballs
- I top off with parmesan cheese and put under the broiler for about 5 minutes or so
Voila they are all done and enjoy!
Warning these are super tasty and actually fairly healthy which is always nice!
I do love that this recipe is low carb and gluten-free and it doesn’t have any fancy ingredients. All the ingredients are readily available at your local grocery store and overall it’s really simple.
Also if you are looking for some yummy low carb recipes check out my friend Mr. CBB’s recipe for Quick Bacon Cauliflower Rice Stuffed Peppers click here they look amazing! I have been cooking with cauliflower rice a lot lately and it’s amazing you just have to get past the learning curve.
Low carb food is yummy and it does not have to be super fatty necessarily unless that works for you for me it usually backfires.
I really hope you love these as much as I do and they make great leftovers…a complete meal!
I wish you all a beautiful week …Until next time!