We absolutely love this extremely versatile italian summer squash which when its young and green you can eat it just like a zucchini but once it gets older you eat it like it’s a winter squash. I can’t wait to experiment more with this hearty squash that seems to not be all that attractive to squash borers which are a real problem in this area. My husband the Viking in my life has already lacto-fermented a couple of batches of this squash and it’s absolutely delicious. We really have to thank our friend Tom for telling us about this amazing squash that we are just now getting to know.
I really want to try this squash in a soup or as a pureed vegetable I just think it would make a great Thanksgiving side dish and trust me this bad boy can feed a crowd! It can also be shredded like a spaghetti squash or baked up like zucchini bread too.
I also included a picture of my Dad wandering through our garden this summer and you see our plants, blackberry bush, and tomatoes were flourishing! If you have a chance run in with this squash seed by the way its a keeper and one you are going to want to try. This food is one that I consider to be part of the Slow Food Revolution you can start growing it early in the season and you can eat it early or save it for eating later in the winter when the garden is not producing as much.
I will be blogging more about our herb of the week feature probably before the weekend and I have our Biltmore trip coming up soon! Have a great week!
- Summer Squash “Pasta” with Tomatoes and Herbs (grabbingthegusto.wordpress.com)
- Wonderful Heirloom Winter Squash (gritmagazine.com)
- Slow Grow and Save (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Autumn’s Golden Harvest: Squash (agrowingseason.wordpress.com)
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Wild Rice and Goat Cheese (faithfulprovisions.com)
- Roast Acorn Squash Stuffed with Brown Rice, Mushrooms and Walnuts (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Narsai David Food Review: Winter Squash Has Arrived (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Preparing and Storing Winter Squash (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Celebrating Winter Squash (greenling.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Tart (diethood.com)