I recently got inspired to make a dish that was just a little different maybe even a little European and then I thought why not make something similar to Beef Wellington but a little healthier (not that much healthier) but cook it up with chicken and veggies instead. This turned out fabulous I even made a homemade hollandaise sauce it’s easier than you think to make. Tarragon is a stand out in this dish and the mixture between that and the hollandaise sauce with the creaminess of the cheese and the outside crunchiness of the phyllo is heavenly. My son told me this recipe needs to be put on permanent rotation…it is labor intensive so I would save this typically to make on the weekend but you can easily double this recipe for a crowd and it is worth your effort for sure!
If I can make these anyone can make these and truthfully I have always got nervous about using Phyllo in recipes because it would break apart but if you take your time and make sure the Phyllo is thawed it really is very easy to work with! You can also use spinach instead of Asparagus or vice versa.
You Don’t Need To Be AFRAID OF PHYLLO!
Ingredients For Filling:
- Butter (You will need a half cup for the sauce and another stick for brushing on the Phyllo you might need more depending on the pastry brush)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Tarragon (Sprinkle generously all over the chicken in the pan)
- Sprinkle some thyme in too!
- 4 chicken breasts (cooked and chopped)
- a bundle of asparagus spears trimmed and chopped or you can rinse fresh spinach
- Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
- hollandaise Sauce (Recipe Below)
Ingredients For Hollandaise Sauce:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1/2 cup salted butter
Place all ingredients in blender and pour into a small sauce pot.
You may need to make 2 pots of this one for the filling and one for a condiment or topping on each phyllo roll up.
Keep warm on oven burner but be careful it will congeal into an egg mixture if you are not careful and it definitely will if you microwave it.
- First cook the chicken in a cast iron skillet with salt and pepper and some olive oil.
- Cool and chop the chicken up.
- Shred the monterey jack cheese you should need about 2 Cups of this.
- Next wash the asparagus or spinach and trim and chop the asparagus or rinse the spinach.
- This recipe makes enough for 4 to 5 roll ups depend on how much you fill them up. If you double you can make 6 to 8 roll ups and I almost always double the recipe!
- Next lay out three phyllo layers (place them out on wax paper or parchment paper) and brush each layer thoroughly with butter.
- Then in the middle place the chopped chicken pieces, the asparagus or spinach, a handful of mozzarella cheese, and a dollop of hollandaise sauce in the center of each piece of phyllo dough and then roll up just like a burrito.
- After you roll up place seam side down and then brush each phyllo roll up with butter.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees oven for 25 to 28 minutes.
I hope you enjoy! This is a crowd pleaser!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy!