My son and I in between all of his football conditioning and training love to go to the beach and meet up with long time family friends and just hang out and spend the day. When the two of us go he will often bring a friend so I like to pack us a memorable lunch worthy of such an occassion so the last time we went I made these wraps and they were a huge hit with the guys and so easy to make the chicken filling the night before and then just put all the pieces together before you go to the beach or have your picnic or wherever you are off too.
As you know Lunch Packing Season is right around the corner for those that go to traditional calendar schools like my son does and I often get tired of boring and unoriginal lunches ugh! I want to eat something exciting yes I said exciting I’m a self-professed foodie and I don’t want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread even though there is a time and place for that. I actually love PPJ’s when I am on hikes in the mountains they just hit the spot!
As you know wraps are so portable and convenient too. My son has a wrap almost every day in his lunch with a piece of fruit and he says it’s the perfect lunch he gets his grain, meat, and veggies all in one quick portable meal. In high school most kids don’t even eat sitting down from a Mom’s perspective wanting to make sure my son is not just grazing on french fries and Twinkies or other horrible foods. This is a good thing! So having a few wrap recipes under my belt that are easy and he loves is a good thing and school is starting back for us in just a couple of weeks.
I don’t just want our lunches to taste amazing I want them to be healthy and nutritional something that will sustain us each day! Also anytime you are packing your own lunch besides controlling the quality of ingredients you are also saving money!
Buffalo Blue Chicken Wraps
- 2 large chicken Breasts
- Mild Buffalo Sauce
- 2 stalks of Celery
- 4 wraps or more (In our case we had enough filling leftover to make a salad shown below)
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce
- Low fat blue cheese dressing
- Place water on stove top to boil.
- Once water is boiling place 2 large chicken breasts in pot I like the kind with the bone in for more flavor.
- Once done take the chicken out of the water if you want you could continue to cook the bones in the water for broth to freeze later that’s what I do.
- Then shred the chicken with a fork and add 1 or 2 TBSP. buffalo sauce to taste my crew likes it mild.
- I then refrigerate this mixture over night or for a couple of hours.
- Next I take the celery and I use a “Julienne” tool and I make celery strings (my husband the Viking in my life does not like his that way so I chop his celery).
- Next I lay out the wrap put the chicken mixture in, then the celery strings, the blue cheese about 2 or 3 tsp. per wrap, then I add lettuce and I salt and pepper to taste and roll it up!
As you know you can follow me on Twitter @lilsubhomestead I would love for you to follow me 🙂
Organizing A Healthy Lunch Routine (lilsuburbanhomestead)
Breaking the Budget: Coffee and Lunch Comparison of 2 Co-Workers (candianbudgetbinder)
Homemade Tomato Soup For Lunch That’s What It Is(lilsuburbanhomestead)