Summertime Dog Bath with Oatmeal, Rosemary and Coconut Oil
Summertime is here and it’s that time when man or woman’s best friend gets covered in allergens and bug bites or whatever else they can pick up outside in the weeds or woods. Our dog is an indoor dog; he is always itchy in the summer. This all natural treatment is just the thing to provide him some relief although it does involve about 30 minutes of my time or so not much. I don’t know about you but I hate it when I see our dog River itching and his contentment after his summer bath and coconut oil conditioning warms my heart. I also give him this same treatment in the winter minus the rosemary. He is sleeping so peacefully now after his bath and is so relaxed and I just gave him a few of his favorite home-made dog treats!
Bathing your dog doesn’t have to be expensive and you can do it yourself you don’t always have to bring them to the groomers and trust me your dog will thank you even if they can’t say so! It’s also a great bonding moment for pet owners with their pets and they do start to like bath time well at least some of them do as we know all dogs have different personalities as my previous black lab Shadow hated bath time LOL! It’s also a nice way to keep the allergens out of your home and the dog hair shedding to a minimum as well.
Keep it simple don’t go out and buy some special oatmeal just go grab your ingredients from your yard and your pantry:
1 Cup Whole grain oatmeal
6-8 Rosemary switches/branches
1/2 C. coconut oil
Steps For Your Summertime Dog Bath!
1. Fill the tub up with lukewarm water to help dissolve the oatmeal and infuse the rosemary.
2. I throw the oatmeal in about a cup and several rosemary branches or switches about 6 to 8.
3. Let them swish around and tell your dog or pup to get in tub mine actually looks forward to bath time!
4. You can use a little mild soap if your dog is dirty as well if you want I use Mane and Tail Shampoo just a nickel sized amount to rub all over him and then I rinse off.
5. I continue to rinse with the oatmeal water and rosemary.
6. I even rub the rosemary and oatmeal all in his skin.
7. I rinse him and dry him off a little but leave him in tub.
8. Almost done but then I do a semi damp rub all over him with the coconut oil I let him eat some too I mean after all that is his reward and he looks forward to it!
9. Next I towel dry him all over he loves it and it’s great for his circulation!
10. Last after he dries off I give him a great brush down and it helps wonderfully with shedding as he is a brown lab shepherd mix so he has a full undercoat.
That’s it he’s all done with his day at the spa!
Rosemary is a natural flea repellant, it leaves a nice woodsy smell all over your pet I know I love it! My infusion is not super strong it’s more of a rinse but he loves it.
Oatmeal has natural anti itch properties I don’t know about you but when I had the chicken pox I loved it when my Mom gave me an Oatmeal bath for sure it was so relieving! River even likes to lick the water with the oatmeal in it but once I wash him with soap I have to tell him no!